Ghatasthapana or Kalashsthapana is a ritual which marks the onset of Navratri. This year Durga Navratri will start from 31st march 2014 and end on April 8th. So Kalash Sthapana will be performed on Pratipada i.e. 31st march.
Kalash means pot and Sthapana means to establish or place, so kalash sthapana literally means establishing the pot. A pot containing holy water is considered as symbol of Goddess Durga. It is placed in puja room and worshiped for nine days. Many families have a tradition of sowing barley seeds during Ghatasthapana. By the end of navratri, these seeds grow into 3-5 inches long shoots. These are taken out and disturbed as form of blessings.
The best time for Ghatasthapana (Ghatasthapana Muhurta) on march 31, 2014 is from 06:16 to 10:22. Shubh Chaughadiya calculation depends on time of sun rise; hence it varies a little from place to place. To be more precise you can ask the priest of a temple nearby you. You can also do this ritual during Abhijit Muhurat - 12:01 to 12:50 p.m. However the main thing is, it should be performed in first one third of the day (Pratipada). Keep chanting mata’s name as often as you can. you can also read 108 names of Maa Durga by Clicking Here!
Significance of Ghatasthapana
Kalasha –is considered as symbolic form of Maa Durga. It is a mark of purity and auspiciousness. Establishing Kalash in your home brings positivity and happiness.
Sowing Barley or Wheat – Seed provides fruits. Sowing seeds during navratri signifies growth, prosperity and abundance. It also indicates fertility. Just like Ghatasthapana, Kanya puja during navratri is also an important ritual. Know about Significance, mantra and vidhi for kanya puja 2014. Click here!
Easy Puja Vidhi for Ghatasthapana
Rituals and traditions followed during this puja vary from region to region and family to family. However main puja rituals are mentioned below.
- Start navratri preparation a few days ago. Clean your house properly.
- Wake up early, clean and decorated the pooja room. Sprinkle ‘Gangajal’.
- Place the idol or any image of Mata at puja place.
- Place the kalash filled with clean or holy water in front of deity. You can use copper or silver or earthen pot.
- Cover its top with mango or Ashoka leaves and place a coconut on the top.
- Tie mauli (scared thread) around the neck of the kalash.
- Collect some garden soil and make a bed for sowing grains. You can use any convenient utensil for this. Place some wheat or barley seeds
- Light a lamp every morning and evening. You can also keep it as ‘Akhand Jyot’.
- Offer Chunari, flowers, incense sticks, paan, rice, tumerice, sindoor, chandan and other puja items to please Maa Durga.
- Chant Mantras or simple recite 108 names of Maa Durga.
- Offer prasad and do aarti of Goddess Durga. Play Garba and feel devoted to Maa durga.
- Reciting Durga saptasati during Navratri is considered highly auspicious.
- Chaitra Navratri 2014, Ram Navami and Hindu New Year!
- नवरात्रि 2014 की तैयारियां