Diwali, also known as Deepavali is the Hindu festival of lights, celebrated by millions of devotees worldwide. It is the Hindu festival of lights that comes once a year and is eagerly awaited by everyone. Here are some great facts about the festival of Diwali.
The Legends Behind Diwali
1. On this day Lord Vishnu had rescued Maa Lakshmi from the prison of asura king Bali, in his Vamana avatar.
2. Diwali is also celebrated as the birthday of Maa Lakshmi, the Hindiu Goddess of wealth and prosperity. This is the reason why Maa Lakshmi is worshipped so dedicatedly during Diwali.
3. This is also the time when Lord Krishna, the seventh avatar of Lord Vishnu, had fought and killed Narakasura. Narakasura was a tyrannical asura who threatened the safety of the three worlds by conquering them. Hence this is a time for celebration of the victory of good over evil.
4. Diwali also marks the return of Lord Rama from 14 years of exile along with his wife Sita and his brother Lakshmana. Rama had defeated and killed the demon king Ravana and restored Dharma on earth. It is said that the people of Ayodhya had lit lamps on this time in order to guide Lord Rama’s chariot to his palace.
5. During Diwali, the Pandavas had also returned to their home from their 12 year exile. They had been exiled due to losing in gambling against their royal cousins, the Kauravas.