Masik Shivaratri 2016
Shivaratri is great festival of convergence of Shiva and Shakti. Each month, Chaturdashi Tithi during Krishna Paksha is known as Masik Shivaratri.
Masik Shivaratri in month of Magha is known as Maha Shivaratri. Masik Shivaratri in month of Phalguna is also known as Maha Shivaratri.
According to Indian Mythology, in the midnight of Maha Shivaratri, Lord Shiva was appeared in form of Linga. Shiva Linga was first worshipped by Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma. Hence Maha Shivaratri is known as birthday of Lord Shiva and devotees worship Shiva Linga during Shivaratri.
Importance of Vrat
Shivaratri Vrat is popular since ancient time.
In Hindu Puranas we get references of Shivaratri Vrat.
According to scriptures even Goddess Lakshmi, Indrani, Saraswati, Gayatri, Savitri, Sita, Parvati, Rati observed Shivaratri fast.
Masik Shivaratri 2016: Dates and Muhurat
FORMAT: Date (day0 [Muhurat]
- 08 January (Friday) [24:00+ to 24:51+]
- 06 February (Saturday) [24:08+ to 24:58+]
- 07 March (Monday) [24:05+ to 24:54+]
- 05 April (Tuesday) [24:04+ to 24:45+]
- 05 May (Thursday) [23:53 to 24:39+]
- 03 June (Friday) [23:55 to 24:40+]
- 02 July (Saturday) [24:01+ to 24:46+]
- 01 August (Monday) [24:03+ to 24:48+]
- 30 August (Tuesday) [23:56 to 24:43+]
- 29 September (Thursday) [23:45 to 24:33+]
- 28 October (Friday) [23:38 to 24:28+]
- 27 November (Sunday) [23:42 to 24:32+]
- 27 December (Tuesday) [23:55 to 24:46+]