Ram Navami marks the birth of Lord Rama, 7th incarnation of Lord Vishnu. He was born on the ninth day (navami) in the month of Chaitra (April-May). Hence, this day is celebrated as Ram Navami. Lord Vishnu incarnated in the form of Ram to demolish the demon king Ravana. Ramji is the son of King Dasaratha and Queen Kaushalya.
Ram Navami 2017 will be celebrated on Tuesday, 8th April 2017.
Ram – ‘Maryada Purushottam Ram’
Lord Ram is a legendary figure, the personification of good and true human being, the man who demolished Ravana and is popularly known as ‘Maryada Purushottam Ram’. Lord Ram is not just a hero, but a divine soul, an avatar of Lord Vishnu and a symbol of ideal human being. Ramrajya or the reign of Rama is said to be a period of peace and prosperity. And even our Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi, used this term to explain his expectations of India’s future conditions. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that his birth is celebrated every year with great pomp and show at Ayodhya and at various regions in India.
Ram Navami celebrations
- Ram Navami is celebrated with great devotion and fervor through the country, but Ayodhya is the main focus of great celebrations.
- On this day, Ratha yatras or ‘chariot processions’ of Rama and his wife Sita, brother Lakshmana and devotee Hanuman, are taken out from many temples at various places.
- Recite the excerpts from the famous epic ‘Ramacharitamanas’ in the honor of Lord Rama.
- Keep a full day fast on this day and perform special poojas dedicated to Lord Rama.
- Sing bhajans in the honor of Lord Rama, his loyal wife Sita and devoted brother Lakshma.
- Chant the 108 names of Lord Rama, so that he may bless them with happiness, success, prosperity and the advancement in devotional service.
Online Prasad wishes you a very Happy Ram Navami. We hope that Lord Rama blesses you with health, wealth and success on this Rama Navami.