Jaya Ekadashi 2017
Jaya Ekadashi 2017 is on February 18 Thursday
- Jaya Ekadashi is a fasting practice that is observed on the ‘ekadashi’ tithi during the Shukla Paksha (the bright fortnight of moon) in the month of ‘Magh’ in the Hindu calendar.
- If you follow the Gregorian calendar it falls between the months of January-February.
- It is believed that if this ekadashi falls on a Thursday, it is even more auspicious.
- This ekadashi is also celebrated in the honour of Lord Vishnu, one of the three main Hindu deities.
- The Jaya Ekadashi fast is observed by almost all Hindus, especially Lord Vishnu followers to receive His divine blessings.
- It is also a popular belief that by keeping this ekadashi fast, all the sins get washed away and the person will attain salvation.
- Jaya Ekadashi is also popularly referred as ‘Bhoumi Ekadashi’ and ‘Bhishma Ekadashi’ in some Hindu communities of South India, particularly the states of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
Rituals on the Jaya Ekadashi
- The main observer on the day of Jaya Ekadashi is the vrat.
- The devotees observe fasting for the whole day, without eating or drinking anything.
- In fact the vrat begins from the ‘dashami’ tithi (10th day).
- No food is eaten on this day after sunrise to ensure that complete fast is kept on ekadashi.
- Hindu devotees keep waterless fast from the sunrise of ekadashi until the sunrise of ‘dwadashi’ tithi (12th day).
- For people who cannot observe complete fasting, can even keep partial fast on milks and fruits.
- This exception is meant for elderly people, pregnant women and for those suffering from serious body ailments.
- Even those who do not wish to fast on Jaya Ekadashi must abstain from eating food made from rice and all forms of grains.
- Applying oil on body is also not allowed.
- Reciting ‘Vishnu Sahastranaam’ and ‘Narayan Stotra’ is considered propitious on this day.
Important Muhurats On Jaya Ekadashi 2017
- Sunrise : 18-Feb-2017 06:34 AM
- Sunset : 18-Feb-2017 18:11 PM
- Dwadashi End Moment : 19-Feb-2017 21:26 PM
- Ekadashi Tithi Begins : 17-Feb-2017 22:06 PM
- Ekadashi Tithi Ends : 18-Feb-2017 21:33 PM
- Hari Vasara End Moment : 19-Feb-2017 03:31 AM
- Parana Time : 06:33 AM – 08:53 AM
Significance of Jaya Ekadashi 2017
- The importance and story of Jaya Ekadashi is mentioned in the ‘Padma Purana’ and ‘Bhavisyothara Purana’.
- Sri Krishna also described the greatness and way of observing this auspicious ekadashi vrat to King Yudhisthira, the eldest of the five Pandav brothers.
- Jaya Ekadashi vrat is so powerful that it can free the person from the most heinous sins committed, even ‘Brahma Hatya’.
- Jaya Ekadashi vrat holds double significance for the fact that ekadashi is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and the month of ‘Magh’ in which it falls is auspicious for Lord Shiva puja.