Bhai Dooj Legends
The Legend Of Lord Vishnu
- Lord Vamadev was once pleased with Bali maharaj and appeared in Vishnu-rupa
- Bali asked a boon that Lord Vishnu would be on every door at Patalaloka.
- Vishnu agrees and goes to become a Dwarpalaka of Bali.
- When Goddess Lakshmi heard this news by Narad, she was in great distressed
- She went to Bali as a poor woman seeking help.
- She says that she doesn’t have a brother and would dearly like one.
- Then Bali accepted her as his sister and told her to ask anything that she need.
- Then Laxmi replied that you have my everything in your service – please release Lord Vishnu.
- Thus, Lord Vishnu was released from the service of Bali.
The Legend Of Yamaraj and Yamuna
- According to Veda, Yamraj-God of dead is the son of Vivasvat.
- He had twin sisters named Yami or Yamuna.
- Yami, Yama’s twin sister, was transformed into the sacred river Yamuna in whose purifying waters people bathe on holy days.
- Yama was given an equally important role and made the god of Death, whom all fear.
- On Bhai Dooj day, Yami or Yamaraja was called to his sister’s home Yamuna, where she offered Aarti and a small gift for her brother.
- Yama then told her that on this day brothers would be invited to their sisters’ home and in return the brother would bring a gift for his sister.
- Until today this tradition is maintained with great love.
- As Yama’s sister is Yamuna and she fed Yama to his satisfaction he said that from now on any brother who visits the sister on Bhai Dhuj day will escape the hand of Yamaraj – the sister prays for her brother.
The Legend Of Lord Mahavir
Another legend behind the origin of Bhai Dooj says that when Mahavir, the founder of Jainism, attained nirvana, his brother King Nandivardhan was distressed because he missed him and was comforted by his sister Sudarshana. Since then, sisters have been revered during Bhai Dooj.
The Legend Of Lord Krishna
According to the legend, on the auspicious day of Bhai Dooj Lord Krishna, after slaying the Narakasura demon, goes to his sister Subhadra where she welcomes her brother with the lamp, sweets, flowers, etc and put the holy protective tilak on his forehead. Keeping this legend in mind, people celebrate the festival of Bhai Dooj with great enthusiasm and fervor.
Get Bhai Dooj Special Jagannath Puri Prasad – CLICK HERE